Saturday, September 14, 2013

Begging


Walking out of Bookmans the other night, we made our way to the car between the pillar posts.




Out of the shadows, we were unexpectedly approached by woman for "just a dollar! or anything you have... or perhaps you would like to buy some jewelry that I made? Please - I am not normally a beggar but I need..."  She went on.

Neither of us had our wallets on us and we were pressed for time to get to our next appointment.  No, sorry, not tonight. We whispered to ourselves, "...does she really 'need' that? what will she 'really' do with the money? oh, there are so many people who are hungry and needing money - we can't give all our money away..."

But words of the Sermon on the Mount haunted me. Once in my car, I dug into my wallet and I did, in fact, have one one-dollar bill.  I don't normally carry cash, but there it was. "God bless you," I told her later.



Matthew 5:42 Give to everyone who begs from you, and do not refuse anyone who wants to borrow from you. 

How do you respond to street beggars?

1 comment:

  1. I encounter most people asking for money outside of Circle K's and the like. When they ask for money, I offer to buy them some food. They always accept and thank me and bless me to the point of embarrassment. OK, I know it's junk food, but at least I know that they are getting some nutrition. - Bob Kamilli

    ReplyDelete